Did you know the average Victorian household spends more than $2,500 a year on energy bills? A whopping 32% of this in on heating! So it makes sense to seek out and implement smart choices when heating your home, including energy-efficient heating.
Sustainability Victoria has released a new Winter Tips page on their website, educating Victorians on how to save money on heating bills. This is part of the Smarter Choice Retail Program.
The Winter energy-saving tips from Sustainability Victoria cover these three main areas:
- Plug the gaps – in walls, skirtings, chimneys, outlets, doors, and windows
- Cover the windows – with energy-efficient glazing, appropriate window frames, and inside curtains
- Set your thermostat – Every degree above 20 Celsius adds 10% to your heating bill!
There is also a handy Running Costs Calculator so you can find out the running costs of your appliances.
What is energy-efficient heating?
Basically, it is heating that is efficient, appropriate for the space and needs, and supported by a home that is well insulated and set up to keep the heat in!
With very Energy Star saving around 10% on the running costs of gas heaters, it is important to choose heating units wisely and then be sharp-minded about how they are used.
Sustainability Victoria recommends these ten ways to reduce your heating costs
- Set thermostats between 18-20°C
- Avoid using heaters overnight and when not at home during the day
- Select a heating unit with a timer or purchase one, to ensure the unit gets shut down at low need times
- Zone your home by closing doors and if possible close off vents in less used areas
- Read your system instructions manual to ensure you are using it to the best ability
- Keep vents clear of curtains and furniture to maintain airflow and clean filters regularly
- Use a reversible ceiling fan to push heat back down in high ceiling areas
- Close curtains and blinds to keep the cold out and heat in
- Keep ducts well insulated
- Ensure your heating system is regularly serviced and maintained
When you choose an energy-efficient heating system like a split system or ducted heating from Daikin and Brivis, you make the right choice for your home and your heating bills. Talk to Surrey about energy-efficient heating for your home.