During summer Melbourne can experience frequent extreme heat days of 35 degrees and over, combined with sweltering nights that stay in the twenties. Keeping cool and comfortable in summer heatwaves is more than just a nice luxury, it can be essential to your health.
The Victorian Department of Health advises that to prepare for hot weather you:
- Check your fan or air-conditioner works well
- Stock up on food, water, and medicines so you don’t have t go out in the heat
- Store medicines safely at the recommended temperature
- Look at the things you can do to make your home coolers such as installing awnings, shade cloths, or external blinds on the sides of the house facing the sun.
Also, be aware of the following heat-related illnesses:
- Heat cramps
- Heat exhaustion
- Heat stroke
For advice contact NURSE-ON-CALL 24-hour emergency 1300 60 60 24 or dial 000.
Remember your pets as well!
Our furry and feathered friends can also suffer on hot days. Kingston City Council provides great tips for pet owners on their website. Click here to read.
If your air conditioning does breakdown you can use these tips at home while you wait for a repair technician:
- Drink plenty of water, even if you don’t feel thirsty (if your doctor normally limits your fluids, check how much to drink during hot weather).
- Keep yourself cool by using wet towels, putting your feet in cool water, and taking cool (not cold) showers.
- Spend as much time as possible in cool or air-conditioned buildings (for example, shopping centers, libraries, cinemas, or community centers).
- Block out the sun at home during the day by closing curtains and blinds. Open the windows when there is a cool breeze.
- Eat smaller meals more often and cold meals such as salads. Make sure food that needs refrigeration is properly stored.
- Avoid strenuous activities like sports, home improvements, and gardening.
- Watch or listen to news reports that provide more information during a heatwave.
Of course, the best approach to surviving the heat is a preventative one.
Surrey Air can receive high demand for service calls on extreme heat days. If it’s been over a year since your last service or you are concerned about the condition of your cooling units, then please avoid the frustration of breakdowns and book a Surrey Air technician today.