Yes! After the coldest winter in 26 years, Melbourne is celebrating longer and warmer days. Yet, this is Melbourne and we still have a long way to go before the sultry days and warm nights of January.
When it will be truly hot again is anyone’s guess. One thing you can rely on is that Melbourne will always be blasted by chilling Southerlies, no matter the time of year. All through Melbourne Spring, we still need a blast of heat in the morning and blankets on the bed at night!
So here are 10 things you can do this week to save on your power bills and prevent break-downs too…
- Remember to close doors to keep heat in the rooms that you want to be warm.
- It’s nice to let the spring breeze in during the day, but be sure to shut your windows at night.
- Close curtains at dusk to stop heat from escaping through the glass. (This is a great job for the kids, use a stopwatch and see if they beat their PB every night!)
- Now that it’s not mid-winter, be brave and turn your auto thermostat down 1 or 2 degrees.
- Reset your timers to switch on 15 mins later for Wake and Return times. (Hint: If you can’t find your instruction manual, try using the internet to locate it online).
- Check draught stoppers and sealing tape on doors and windows and repair any that may have been damaged during winter.
- Take advantage of the sales and invest in new blankets, doonas, and slippers. (Remember you can donate old blankets to the Lost Dogs Home, RSPCA, or Op Shops).
- Inside – vacuum any accumulated dust and lint off the inside exhaust vent. If your vent is in the ceiling, please be careful and use a sturdy stepladder!
- Outside – if you have a heat pump then clear away weeds from under and around the unit. Check the unit and hoses for signs of storm damage (including splitting, cracking, rusting, and bad smells).
- If in doubt about the safety or efficiency of your heating unit, please call us to book a service. Plus with our multi-appliance offer, it is affordable to have your cooling serviced at the same time. (Because the second thing you can always rely on is Surrey Air.)