Google reviews icon
Google Rating
4.7
4.5/5

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Is your heater safe?

Many people are unaware that carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, toxic gas that can spill from faulty gas heaters and cause chronic illness or, in some cases, death.

Carbon monoxide is a gas produced by common household appliances. Any appliances that use gas, oil, kerosene, or wood can produce carbon monoxide. When not properly ventilated, carbon monoxide emitted by these appliances can build up.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headaches, nausea, and fatigue, are often mistaken for the flu because the deadly gas goes undetected in a home. Prolonged exposure can lead to increased heart rate, confusion, brain damage, unconsciousness, and even death. If you experience symptoms, open doors and windows, get fresh air immediately, call 000 or seek advice from your doctor or nearest hospital immediately.

This year Energy Safe Victoria joined forces with The Chase and Tyler Foundation to help spread this vital public health and safety message. Founded by Vanessa Robinson, the Shepparton mother who lost her two young sons to CO poisoning caused by a faulty gas wall heater in May 2010, the Foundation was officially launched at the Melbourne Museum in May. The Foundation website provides quality public safety information.

Origin Energy customers may have noticed a flyer with May 2013 bills to raise awareness of carbon monoxide and the need for carbon monoxide testing in gas appliances.

Danger signs to look out for around gas and other fuel-burning appliances include:

  • Sooting, yellow or brown staining on or around your appliance, walls, ceiling or below the appliance.
  • Excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed
  • Lazy yellow or orange colored gas flame, rather than a sharp blue one
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Peeling paint above the appliance
  • Sooting flecks on the ground and underneath appliance

Ways you can protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • have your gas appliances fitted by a licensed gasfitter
  • never use fuel-burning appliances in enclosed and un-vented spaces
  • never bring an outdoor gas appliance inside your home.
  • never leave your car’s engine running idle in an enclosed space, like the garage.
  • service all gas appliances regularly minimum requirement, as per the manufacturers recommendation or at least every two years as recommended by Energy Safe Victoria;
  • have a high standard audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted outside sleeping areas and living areas.

The team at Surrey Air is trained to understand how to properly test for CO spillage. Accurate carbon monoxide testing requires specialized equipment and knowledge to prevent false readings.

Take advantage of our Multiple Appliance application forms and book carbon monoxide testing for your home today.

(Excerpts from the ESV Newsletter Issue 32, July 2013)

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn

See What People Are Saying

Charles Koutzy
Charles Koutzy
06/02/2024
Highly recommend Great air con company 10/10 great service & excellent Technicians that completed The job properly & promptly. Keep up the great work. Charles Edithvale
eric yuen
eric yuen
03/02/2024
We had an exceptional experience with the professional team who serviced my heater and evaporative air cooler. They were punctual, provided excellent service, and even went the extra mile by fixing a broken tile on our roof. Highly recommended for their professionalism and attention to detail.
Olivia Butler
Olivia Butler
03/02/2024
Surrey air came a few weeks ago and serviced my reverse cycle air conditioner for me. They were able to fit me in quickly, there was good communication and the technician arrived on time. The technician was helpful going onto the roof and providing me photos to give to the body corporate re other units that needed attending to.
Lee Campbell
Lee Campbell
02/02/2024
Very happy with the service. Both professional and prompt. Would have hesitation to recommend.
Kate Antrobus
Kate Antrobus
02/02/2024
Great service.
Andrea Anderson
Andrea Anderson
01/02/2024
These guys had the most reasonable call out fee, they were able to attend to fix our issue the day after I contacted them and there was great communication throughout the whole process from booking to the eta of the technicians. They arrived and promptly set to work, getting our cooling back up and running. I would recommend them.
Jack
Jack
31/01/2024
Great service, friendly people and would definitely recommend!

Contact us Today for a Quote!

Related Posts

Request A Service

Get A Quote Today!